What do they mean by “You aren’t ready for that job yet”? It can be hard to figure out what’s meant by a statement like that one. You’ve been doing your best and working hard so you feel ready to tackle something bigger and better. So why aren’t you getting that opportunity?
There could be several different things going that are beyond the scenes. To learn more about what they are click here for a short video explanation.
If you feel you are ready to move up in your organization yet you are running into resistance or rejection take it as an opportunity to learn more about your career path options.
- Have a conversation with your boss or a mentor about what you need to do to move up
- Ask how you can prepare yourself for the next position by gaining experience or learning new skills
- Be open to feedback about your strengths and areas for improvement (we all have both)
- Create a plan to improve your skill set and gain experiences
- Let people know you want to move up and are willing to prepare for that next role
You don’t have to get stuck where you are right now. However, you have to take the initiative to find out what might be holding you back and then to act on what you learn. Bosses like people who are willing to be assertive, make an effort to improve and are open to feedback.
It’s your career, take control of it. Decide where you want to go and what you need to do to get there. Get help from a mentor or coach to help you navigate the murky waters of career advancement.