If you are struggling to keep your head above water with all you have to do it may be time to get help. One of the best ways to get help is to delegate some of your tasks to someone else. When you are too busy to get everything done it can seem like you don’t have time to delegate. The three main reasons people feel like they don’t have time to delegate are:
- Takes time to figure out what to delegate.
- I’ll have to take time to explain what is required for each item.
- Following up to make sure it’s done properly will take too long.
It’s true that all of the above items are required to delegate and they will take some of your time. However, they will take less time than you will spend getting everything done on your own. If you are spinning your wheels because you have so much to do that you can’t seem to finish anything then you really do need help. The investment in time to delegate will pay the following benefits:
- You will get time to finish critical items.
- Stress levels will drop as you see things being completed.
- Your work/life balance will be better which will give you more energy and enthusiasm for what you are doing.
- Delegating tasks to others helps them develop new skills and allows them to grow.
- Builds trust with your team, in both directions, when you trust someone else to get things done.
- Increases self-confidence in yourself and in others by seeing that things will get done on time.
So can you really afford not to delegate some of your work to those around you? Be careful to choose what you delegate carefully. The tasks have to be suited to the person you are giving them to, so that they can get them done properly. Also, dumping the grunt work only makes people feel that you don’t trust them with the difficult stuff, thus devaluing their abilities.
When you choose wisely to delegate some of your workload you will reduce your stress, get more done, and develop the team around you. It’s a win-win-win situation.